My name is Randy Shoults. I am an artist who lives and works in Montgomery, AL. I received a BS in printmaking and photography from Troy University and a MA in painting and ceramics from the University of Alabama. I served as Art Instructor at Meridian Junior College from 1972 until 1983. I recently retired after 25 years as Community Arts, Design and Literature Program Manager with the Alabama State Council on the Arts. During that time I served as ASCA’s liaison and advocate for design, literature and community arts organizations across the state. I currently serve on the board for Your Town Alabama, Black Belt Treasures and Design Alabama and has recently returned full time to his studio. I am a bicycle rider and a music/movie/book lover. My current work can be seen at the Montgomery Museum of Art Gift Shop, Black Belt Treasures in Camden, AL, Alabama Goods in Homewood and, Old Alabama Town in Montgomery, AL.
My career has been marked by signpost of experience and opportunities. I never intended to be an artist. My plans were always to be a scientist of some kind. I grew up with chemistry sets and microscopes. My family roots contain farmers, carpenters, mechanics and seamstresses. As an artist I have traced an explorer’s route directed by knowing your materials and being open to possibilities.
My current work is about solving practical problems and I’m not sure where it’s going next. Sometimes the worked directs and you have to have faith in the journey. There are always many possible solutions and one bit of information that is needed to complete the puzzle.
I have worked in many median have recently returned to mixed media drawing but clay is my primary medium. Most of my work is functional and intended for everyday use and still uses the vessel as the primary reference. My current work is wheel thrown, hand-built, and extruded. I mix all my own glazes and fire both cone 6 electric and 04 gas/wood. I strive for good design and a unique use of color and surface in my work.
- 51st. Annual Regions Bank Exhibition, Best in Show, Montgomery, AL
- Magic City Art Connection, Merit Award, Birmingham, AL
- 50th Annual Regions Bank Exhibition, 1 st. Place 3D, Montgomery, AL
- 2nd Annual Alabama National Biennial, Sella-Granada Gallery, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Roots and Wings Exhibit, Art Revive, Selma, AL
- 42nd Bi-State, Meridian Museum of Art, Meridian, MS
- Group Exhibit, Shoults Family, Miller Gallery, Meridian Community College, Meridian, MS.
- Red Clay Survey, Huntsville Museum of Art, Huntsville , AL
- 41st Annual Bi-State Competition, Meridian Museum of Art, Meridian, MS
- 20th San Angelo National Ceramic National Ceramic Competition, San Angelo Museum of Art, San Angelo TX
HONORS & AWARDS
- 1st Place 3D, 50th Annual Regions Bank Exhibition, Montgomery, AL
- 3-D Second Prize, Roots and Wings Exhibit, Art Revive, Selma, AL
- Merit Award,42nd Bi-State, Meridian Museum of Art, Meridian, MS
- First Place Pottery, Gumtree Festival, Tupelo, MS.
- Achievement Award, 41st Bi-State, Meridian Museum of Art, Meridian, MS
- Award of Merit Pottery, Troy Fest,Troy, AL
- First Place 3-D, Roots and Wings, Art Revive, Selma, AL
- Achievement Award, 40th Bi-State, Meridian Museum Arts, Meridian, MS
- University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Meridian Museum Arts, Meridian, MS
- East Mississippi Community College, Scooba, MS
- Space One Eleven, Birmingham, AL
- private collections throughout the Southeast